Sat, 24 Sept|
The Square, Ballater
Ballater Reliability Ride 2022
Two route options, epic scenery and multiple cake stop options for this self-supported road ride which is part of the Thrive Bike 2022 weekend of cycling
Time & Location
24 Sept 2022, 10:00 – 15:00 UTC
The Square, Ballater, 4 Golf Rd, Ballater AB35 5RE, UK
About the Event
The event takes place on Saturday 24th September 2022, sign on opens from 09:00, all riders will start at 10:00hrs sharp together for both routes. We also have our 'Ballater Dash 2022' event being held on the Sunday. See our events page for more info.
PART OF THRIVE BIKE 2022
Scottish Adventure is providing a Reliability Ride as part of the Thrive Bike 2022 festival of cycling. Thrive Bike is a long weekend of energy, excitement & entertainment. An action packed event for bikers, non-bikers and the family! Thrive Bike is an event where all people are truly welcomed and respected. With a range of activities, we have something for everyone. Thrive is not just about bikes and biking. By mindfully harnessing our local assets, we strive to enrich people’s lives, so that our community, economy, and environment thrive. Find out more about Thrive Bike by clicking here.
The event provides a choice of two routes through the stunning Aberdeenshire countryside. Our objective when creating these routes was simple: not the hilliest: just the best the area has to offer. A great day out on your bike!
- The long route is 125km, 1600m^ and will turn right after leaving Ballater via South Deeside Road passing Balmoral before heading over Cairnsheil to Donside where you'll head east with a long downhill towards Glenkindie. You will turn left and do a loop through Lumsden to the famous Ride The North HQ of Rhynie before taking on the mighty Suie Hill. You will start heading south west through several local villages to South Deeside Road and back to the start in Ballater.
- The short route is 46km, 410m^ and will turn left after leaving Ballater via South Deeside Road passing Dinnet before heading through Logie Coldstone and doing a loop to Tarland. You will cross over the route you've already taken passing Loch Davan and Loch Kinnord heading west back to the start in Ballater.
Once you have purchased your ticket(s) you will receive an email with a link to the GPX route files for you to download from Komoot.
HOW TO ENTER
Hit the button below selecting the Short or Long Route.
WHAT IS A RELIABILITY RIDE?
A Reliability Ride is a self supported organised ride of a pre-planned route(s). Riders are expected to navigate the chosen route themselves and to complete the course without external assistance, other than from other riders. Stopping to take photos, to scoff cakes and coffee are strongly recommended. Historically a Reliability Ride was a test of the bike and the person to ensure they both work suitable in preparation for the race season ahead - a test of reliability.
EVENT HQ & BUFFET
The event HQ will be located in the Square in Ballater. At the end of the event there will be a free buffet and bottomless tea. All the local cafes and resturants will be open too.
MONEY RAISED FROM TICKET SALES
Scottish Adventure is a not-for-profit organisation and any money raised from tickets after we've paid our British Cycling fees and bought the sticky buns goes to supporting local charities and good causes. You can read about our current projects by clicking here. Buying tickets helps make this support happen, thank you! Don't forget that Scottish Adventure personal members get 20% off all ticket prices. Become a member today by clicking here.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- The event will not be signed, you will be sent a link to gpx files on Komoot which you can download paper route maps will not be provided.
- There will be no support on the road therefore riders should ensure that their bike and body is in good working order and carry sufficient spares and supplies as necessary.
- Third party insurance is provided by Scottish Cycling as part of the cost of entry. Riders are reminded that they ride at their own risk.
- All participating riders are required to wear helmets.
- Riders should obey the rules of the road and ride with due consideration for other road users. Any riders observed not doing so will be ejected from the event and reported to Police Scotland and Scottish Cycling.
- Parking is available at the event HQ but is limited. Please plan ahead.
- Please be considerate of residents who live close to the event HQ when arriving in the morning.
TERMS OF ENTRY AND QUESTIONS
All tickets sold are subject to our Website Terms & Conditions.
If you have any questions about the event please click here to contact us with your enquiry.
Reliability Ride - Short Route
+£0.38 service fee
+£0.38 service fee0
Event Volunteer Marshall
Bring your partner or friend along to help us deliver the event on the day, no experience needed
Reliability Ride - Long Route
+£0.38 service fee
+£0.38 service fee0